Monday, July 18, 2005

Ever since I began reading my son's and daughter-in-law's blogs, I have desired to "join the ranks" and today (with my husband's help), I DID IT! I love to journal and I feel this will be a great adventure for me.

We just returned from the White Mountains yesterday and I have been busily unpacking and reorganizing my home. I had to have a break so I sat down to read our kid's blogs to see how life is going for them with their new little one.

It is so exciting being a grandma! It has been an awesome experience with our first (who will soon be 3) and I am so excited to have had two more born this spring/summer. It is so amazing to see my own "little ones" all grown up and taking on the roles of a mommy and a daddy. I am so proud of them and their spouses.

Living three hours away from my grandchildren has its benefits and its disadvantages. I often hear of grandparents all worn out because their children use them as a daily, full time babysitting service (most often FREE) so that they can work with no extra expense. On one hand, I envy those grandparents in being able to play a major role in the upbringing of their grandchildren, seeing them regularly ... being able to watch them grow and mature both physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually. They will be able to "be there" for all of their grandchildren's firsts ... from their first tooth to their first date and all that comes before, between and after those events. They also have the joy of being near their own children who brought these grandchildren into the world ... developing a close friendship with them now that they are grown and no longer need the discipline that often deterred the development of such friendship when they were younger and living at home. What a joy it must be to watch your child regularly,, daily, as he/she grows into adulthood, matures, and takes on new roles of life - especially parenthood. On the other hand I feel sorry for those grandparents that they must often be the disciplinarian and cannot just enjoy every moment they have with their grandchildren. When I see my grandchildren, most of the time I do not have the pressures of being the disciplinarian and I can just enjoy watching them explore life, playing with them, cuddling them ... the easier parts of loving a child. We are blessed with children who do a great job of letting my husband and I know that they love us, appreciate us, care for us, miss us, respect us, still need us, and even admire us and are proud that we are their parents. Too often, once a child leaves home and starts his/her own family, they fail to remember their parents who sacrificed so much so that they could have more. Our children have made a special effort to "be there" for us. I am so thankful. It gives me confidence that, even though miles may separate us, they will make sure our grandchildren know who we are and how much we love them. They have the power to make or break our relationship with them and with their children just by their efforts or negligence. Again I praise the Lord for blessing us with children who "go the extra mile" to "bridge the gap" that distance could cause in our relationships.

I feel our children have truly become our FRIENDS. They even ask us for advice sometimes now .... It's funny how parents all of a sudden become "smart" once their children graduate from high school/college and enter the "real world". When we went on vacation and saw our 2 year old granddaughter she "made my day" as she showed sheer joy in seeing me. For so long it was a matter of me having to make all the efforts to build a relationship with her. It is such a joy to see her finally at an age that she reaches out to me and remembers me and our special times together. How blessed I truly am!

Well, I often have been accused of being "Long-winded" ... and that I am! But in an effort not to bore others I will sign off now and write more later. I will close with my favorite verses:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5,6)

Remember, with every promise God gives us in His Word, there is a premise ... something we must first do to earn that promise! God bless you in your life's journey!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Mom,

So glad to see you have joined the ranks of bloggers all over the world. I am so excited that I now have a new way to check in and see how you are doing.

Love and miss you!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi grandma! I sure do miss you!

I am getting soooo big! Today was my 1 month checkup and I weighed in at 7lbs 10ozs, and I am now 20 1/4 inches long! I can't wait to see you again. Tell grandpa I love him too.

Lots of baby squeezes . . .

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home