Wednesday, July 27, 2005

GOD PROMISES HE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE

I watched what a man might call a "sappy" Christian love romance movie called "Love Comes Softly" on TV tonight. The setting was the frontier and the characters were pioneers trying to settle in the West. When the main man character lost his barn to a fire in the story, the main lady character asked him, "How can you believe in a God that would allow horrible things to happen to you (such as the death of his wife, the loss of his barn and all his grain)?" What he answered was such a simple but awesome answer that I wanted to share it with you all because we all go through losses ( I just lost my Mom) and difficult times and no matter how strong we are in our Christian faith sometimes we are hurting so bad we just may shout at God "Why did you let this happen?" I will try to quote his answer as closely as possible:

" I love Missy (his daughter) more than anything in this world. There is not a thing I wouldn't do for her. But let's suppose that one day she and I were walking side by side and she tripped, fell, and hurt herself? Did I allow that to happen? No, and she knew I did not want that to happen to her. She also knew that I was there to pick her up, hold her, comfort her and try to heal her. It is not a question of "why God allows bad things to happen to us and those we love". But it is the assurance that when such things do happen He promises to always be there to pick us up, comfort us and heal us."

Is that AWESOME, or what? God is so good. With that I say "Good Night".

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Terri, thank you so much for posting this! I had never thought of things that way before. I believe in God because I see Him in everything around me and it's impossible not to believe, but I have been one of those people who wonders why a God who loves us allows terrible things to happen. I think that is a very good answer, and I guess looking at things that way can bring us closer to Him when we're hurting, rather than driving us away.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home