Wednesday, August 09, 2006

UNITY

God must really be smiling down on the Newton Falls Church of the Nazarene this week! We are in the midst of VBS and, I must say, even though I believe there is overall unity in our church everyone seems to be displaying it (more than I have seen in a long time) this week. In fact, my husband and I have often questioned if we should have VBS because it has often been one of the greatest factors contributing to disunity (misunderstandings, criticism, hurt feelings, etc.) in our church. Actually, that is no doubt why I am the "director" this year. Too many have been hurt by criticism and conflicts in the past when they have tried to direct it. So here I am, setting myself up with a big "target" on my forehead for people to "shoot" at as I assume this role of leadership. (HeeHee!)

I like to think that I am mature enough in the Lord that His grace will be sufficient to serve as my buffer and lesson the sting of any "attack" that may come my way as a result of it. But I honestly don't think that will be an issue this year. It appears that everyone is really trying to focus on the children and letting God use them however He pleases to fulfill this week's VBS ministry. Karen Moser has been almost more of a director than me as she has worked for weeks in organizing the schedule, helping me enlist workers, and doing unending "clerical" duties that are essential to the success of any VBS. I can say truthfully that I have not seen even one 'sloucher' among the workers. When something has needed done, both prior to VBS and daily so far this week, someone is "there" to do it. I am not having to go out and beg anyone. It seems they are all so joyful in serving however needed. Whenever I start to stress out a little over the realization that I have not done something that needs done pronto, before I can barely take a step to do it, someone is there at my elbow saying "I'll take care of it!" ... and saying it with a smile!!! I am so blessed! I am enjoying this week far more than I ever dreamed possible! I pray that God will bless these people "real good" and use them in very evident ways ... where they can all see the children enjoying learning about faith and trust in God.

Ya know, I can say with all my heart that, in all our years of ministry, we have never had such a wonderful congregation. This is a church a pastor would "die" for. Sure we have our ups and downs but nothing like most churches have. There is only one thing that makes it less than "PERFECT" for US ...the distance. If we could pick up the church and all the people with it and move it closer to our home it would be perfect for sure. The older we get the harder it is to travel the miles and as the church has grown we realize they desperately need a pastor who lives in their community and can "be there" for them as they so richly deserve. But until the day God releases us, we will lean on HIs strength to keep on trying to meet their needs,, even though we feel we often fail miserably.

WEll, the day is waiting for me. I am actually looking forward to VBS every night! WOW! THIS IS A FIRST!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

VBS was just awesome, wasn't it?! I am actually sad that it's over! I'm gonna miss those little ones--even Tyler (haha). I'm sorry that you and Pastor Jim feel that you fail our church...I'm pretty sure you guys are the only ones who feel that way, because we all love you guys so much and think you are pretty wonderful! I love you both so much and I am so thankful that God made me and my family a part of this church family.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home