Monday, January 16, 2006

THE BEST GIFTS OF ALL COME FROM THE HEART!


Our church gave us an awesome gift this year. We have served in many churches in our lifetime and received many different types of gifts for Pastor's appreciation, birthdays and Christmas but our Christmas gift from the Newton Falls Church of the Nazarene this year was the BEST because it is something no money amount can be placed upon ... It is truly a gift of the heart.

Okay, Okay, I know you are dying to know what it was ... is. They gave us a calendar!!!!! Yes, that's right, a calendar. But not just any 0rdinary calendar but one on which the individual families of the church have signed their names on different Sundays throughout the year to provide us with a time of fellowship and eating with them! Is that creative or what?!? And it continues to give all year long! Wow!!!

Every Sunday we pack up our car and drive the 26 miles to Newton Falls to minister. To be honest, as we have gotten older, the drive has become more and more difficult to make. It has been so discouraging at times to not be able to be an active part of our church family's community ... to have little opportunity to get into each of their homes and truly fellowship and get to know them. When Mom passed away in June, and then Jim got his "day position" in the factory, we began to see hope in possibly reaching our goal of more fellowship with our church family but we had still not figured out the particulars. Then ... they did it for us!

We realize that this gift truly involves everyone on a more personal level than when a church pulls from its budget (composed of tithes and offerings) to provide us with a gift. And that makes us appreciate it all the more! We hope they will get to know us in a way they have not been able to truly know us before ... nothing special ... just plain country folk that love to have fun, especially with God's family!

I don't know exactly what it is but Jim and I both sense an atmosphere of joy and excitement in our church that seemed to be lacking for awhile. Perhaps it is because they have all had to agree to get personally involved in this joint effort to make this special gift become a reality? Perhaps it is some New Year's Resolutions some have made? Perhaps it is the excitement of working together to make some long needed repairs and remodeling of the church facilities? Perhaps it is the moving of the Holy Spirit in our midst? Perhaps it is all of these and much more ... only God knows. But it is exciting! As the song says, "I just feel like something good is about to happen"!

Jim often tells us "With every promise in God's Word, there is a premise - something we each must inidividually do before we can receive God's Promises. He has been preaching on "Can We Really Trust God?" I believe many in our church are trying, with all their hearts, to trust God as never before. I believe they are determined this year to daily read God's Word and talk to Him, to be more faithful in their church attendance and in the paying of their full tithes and offerings. If they do these things alone, they cannot help but to mature and grow in His Love and Grace. And, as a result, something "Good" is sure to happen in our church as God moves through His people! Thank you, God, for what You have already done and for what You are about to do! WHOOPIE!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Terri, just wanted to tell you again what a nice time we had yesterday with you and Pastor Jim! It was so nice to just talk and share a meal together (and of course it's not often you get the pastor and his wife all to yourself!! haha). I'm glad that you are so happy about the church family's Christmas gift to you, you both do so much for all of us, it's nice to give something back. See you Wednesday! Love, Amy

1:04 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Terri, I wanted to respond to your comments from earlier. First, I have talked to Ed several times about tithing...he always says we can't. He insists we don't make enough money--yes, I know that any amount of money is enough, I know the story of the widow woman from the Bible who gave what she had (and he does too). That is why I wrote in my blog that I have to just wait until he feels convicted by God about it, and until then just keep praying.
I think some of what I wrote in my blog from earlier is because I was feeling very hurt yesterday. Someone from our church, who is rather well-respected (and also very financially blessed) said something very rude and hurtful to Ed about where we live--implying that it's like a ghetto or something. She was joking around that we should have just brought you and Pastor Jim to our place to eat and "Tyrone could come over and bring some chitlins..." to quote her. I know it was just a silly harmless comment, but Terri it really, really hurt me for someone in our church family to say something like that. I'm tired of being judged because of our financial situation. Yes, I know so many other people in our church are struggling too, and I don't know if they get the comments too or not, but I am just tired of being judged by people because of our money.
As for Ed and I being VBS directors, I have to admit that was a surprise to me too. Ed had just mentioned it to me a couple days ago and we hadn't really discussed it yet or anything. I am just going to pray about it and let God lead me to decide what to do.
I really am trying to be obedient. It's hard having a husband who isn't where he should be either. I pray for him always, and I hope you'll pray for us too, that we can become the people God wants us to be. Love, Amy

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home