Friday, January 06, 2006

THE BEST GIFTS ARE GIFTS FROM THE HEART!

Our family has been trying combat the "routine" of gift giving and become more creative but, alas, lack of time (and for some, such as myself, lack of creativity period!) we once again returned to the yearly exchange of Christmas lists! I believe we all still were thrilled with the gifts we received but, I must admit, by very best gift came AFTER Christmas day. First of all, the one thing Jim and I live for is a visit from our children and grandchildren. When they come into our home, it feels so much more full of life and joy. They are faithful to visit us every Christmas season, and in this past year even much more throughout the year ... It was AWESOME!

This year James and his family had to postpone their arrival a day because of the flu bug, not wanting to spread it to the rest of the family (although all of his and Sunshine's family had already had it during the holidays). I believe he probably still had a few germs hanging on but I will always risk getting such critters rather than stay away from my children or grandchildren! Well, Jim and I both came down with the within an hour of each other in the middle of the night. We were miserable, playing tag team in trying to keep the toilet company. The kids and their families remained on one side of the living room while we crashed on the other. Sunshine and her family HAD to leave that day and I could not even get up to pray with them and wave goodbye at the door ... now that is really sick for me to break such a great family tradition! I told James and Kelly that we would understand if they left that day instead of waiting until the next day as they had planned but they "hung in there"! That is when I received my BEST Christmas gift.

Yes, it was a gift just to have them stay another day so I could feel well enough to make some special things for them to eat (Why do we mothers love feeding our kids?) But that was not the gift I am speaking of at this time. The gift was given to me that day as I laid so sick on the couch. My son went out in the kitchen and cleaned up the mess and clutter. Then he proceeded to work his way, it seems, through my entire house! I thanked him and thanked him and he said, "I don't want you to feel all stressed out or depressed when you get well and have a mess to deal with." He knew what I needed most, even though I did not! He came up with the most precious gift he could give me ... a gift of love and compassion straight from his heart ... and it wasn't even on my list! WOW!! I wish I could be so creative!

When I started feeling better .... and especially after they left and our house was once again empty so all I had to focus on was our house .... I was so relieved to not feel the pressure to set things in order prior to going back to school. I felt such a peace deep within of knowing I could take my time recuperating. Sure there were things still left to do ... take down the tree and decorations and put them away and clean out my fridge by freezing or using up leftovers, etc. ... but I felt no pressure in doing any of that because my house looked so good! So this is to my son ... THANK YOU, JAMES! May God bless you as you have blessed your father and I. Thanks to you and Kelly for taking care of us as we recuperated ... for hanging around instead of leaving early. We love you both (Halle too!) SOOOOO MUCH!

All my love,
Mom

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

We love you too! Sorry again about bringing an extra gift (the flu bug) with us. It was wonderful to be home for the holidays!!

Smooches and Squishy Hugs!!!!!!
Kelly

6:10 AM  
Blogger James said...

I am glad it brought some peace to you Mom.
Thanks for all you have done for Sunshine and I through the years. I guess it was about time I cleaned up for once though.
I love you.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

James & Kelly,

Thanks for the time you took to comment back ... I was hoping you would read it. James, I am blocked from posting comments on your site for some reason. A red hand flashes whenever I try. I cannot even read comments others have posted. Is this intentional? (smile) What should I do?

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home