Tuesday, November 29, 2005

BLESSINGS AND FRUSTRATIONS

It appears that our family is VERY busy if you see how little any of us have blogged recently! I am so excited that Sunshine is trying to join us in this adventure. It is such a neat way of keeping in touch with each other's innermost feelings and thoughts when you live so far away from each other!

Thanksgiving was a time of frustration for us in not being able to have Sunshine, Aaron, Adelaide and Canaan home. We have only seen them for a short 24 hour visit since August and my grandbabies have grown so much in those months! However, it was also a time of blessings in that James and Kelly and Halle were able to be at home with us for 4 whole days and a little more! It was frustrating for all of us that the time went so quickly but James' class had a wonderful class reunion and we had a great family time at my sister-in-law's/niece's home. It was so good to be able to show off one of my grandbabies, even though I was accused (probably rightly so ... smile) of "hogging" her to myself!

I believe my greatest frustration right now is with the unfaithfulness of so many of the followers of Christ. Does it make sense that you would have over 90 in church one Sunday (with no special emphasis) and then be down to 48 the very next Sunday? And why is it that our tithes and offerings began to decrease every week since the holidays came upon us? Are people out shopping for Christmas instead of going to church? Are they using their tithes and offerings, which we have tried to teach them is a commandment from God (not a choice) to buy Christmas gifts? I know I am not to judge but we have sought to teach the steps needed to take towards spiritual maturity for the past 10 years but I wonder how many have really grasped the concepts we have taught? I worry what is to happen to our church at times and I know ours is not the only one that is probably experiencing this during the holidays. I guess it is a sign of the times.

In talking with some fellow Christians the other day we all agreed that sometimes you just feel like shaking those who do not appear to be making consistent progress towards being totally obedient to God in their walk towards full Christian maturity. What blessings they are missing out on! I want them to experience the joy we have felt so often in our lives when we "went without" in order to pay our tithe and received a greater blessing than we could ever dream of as a result of it. I long for them to experience the peace that passes all understanding when trials and testings come their way ( physically, emotionally, in relationships, or financially) and they know they have been fully obedient and faithful to the Lord and kept their relationship with Him strong and alive and know at He is in control. I know I am not perfect, but I sure am trying to "be like Jesus". "Take the time and the trouble to keep yourself spiritually fit." We have quoted that verse over and over. We must be faithful in our attendance at church. We must seek to serve the Lord, even though we may be criticized and it may bring hurt at times, we must do it for Him ... at least He knows our heart. We must be faithful in paying our tithes and offerings regularly, not just when it is convenient. We must DAILY SEEK HIS FACE IN PRAYER AND READING HIS WORD. It is not easy, but it is a must! Oh, Lord, help me to always be faithful ... No matter what others may say about me or do ... Help me keep my eyes focused on YOU.

I guess all of life has its blessings and its frustrations. I will try to focus on "whatsoever is of good report".

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Terri, thank you so much for what you wrote to me in my blog. Yes, I had heard Pastor Jim (and you) mention a "dark time" where he wasn't the spiritual leader that he should have been, but I guess it never really occurred to me that you were the one who stepped in and took over that role for your children (and while I don't really know them, I know enough about them that it's pretty obvious you did a wonderful job!) Thank you so much for your encouragement and your love...I love you too :-) And we're not really planning to "run away" any time soon. You and Pastor Jim and so many others at our church have given Ed and I (and the girls, especially TJ) the love and acceptance we really needed. Ed never got that anywhere else, and I don't think he's in a hurry to leave it.
Love & Hugs,
Amy

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home