Tuesday, October 25, 2005

REMEMBERING MY MOM

We had such a great weekend with our kids as we dedicated our granddaughter. I believe God worked the timing of that weekend to prepare me with an overflow of joy to carry me through a flood of sadness last night. On our way home from Newton Falls from our care group I saw Christmas Lights out on a home in Champion and I wanted to say, "Hey, Mom, look at the pretties!" But ... she wasn't there. And she won't be this Christmas ... this Thanksgiving. I never thought the holidays would bring such sadness to me this year but it makes sense ...My first year without my mom.

It was't like this with my dad but my husband reminds me that Mom was with us for the past 9 years. She went to church with us regularly, we visited her and she us, we went shopping together (which she loved to do and I actually don't enjoy so much anymore) and she found such joy in the simple things of life I often would overlook ... like the Christmas lights. It is such a blessing to know that I took time last year to drive her around to look at them ... I never dreamed it would be the last time. From the time I was little she and Dad would take me out to look at the lights ... to celebrate the season.

And life goes on. God's grace is sufficient! His joy is new every morning!

Have a good day basking in His presence!

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

So good to be with you, even though it was brief and busy. It was just good to see your face, squeeze it, kiss it and even look at it. We miss you two and can't wait until Thanksgiving comes.

I miss Grandma more than I have ever missed anyone. She meant so much to me. Everytime I see her picture on our fridge (almost every day) it stirs a deep emotion inside of me. I won't throw away one card with her hand writing, even if it is just her name. It doesn't seem natural to not have her, to not be able to call her or visit her while I am home or pick on her. I feel you pain, and I wasn't even around the past 9 years... or the first 20 of your life. My prayers are with you Mom. I love you.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

We're all gonna miss her Terri! None of us as much as you of course, but we all loved her and are gonna miss her. Every time I see a stuffed animal frog I remember the one hanging on her walker. Every time I hear a car alarm go off I remember the time she set Ember's off to let Pastor Jim know it was noon! I know the holidays will be hard for you this year, but you have a whole church full of shoulders to cry on and prayers being said for you. We love you :-)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I've been thinking a lot about her too. I've already thought about how Christmas will be weird without her. And every single time I use the word "gross" I am happy and sad at the same time.

I miss her and I only had 10 years with her . . .
Love you mom.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home