Saturday, January 07, 2006

TRASH OR TREASURE????

I am using today as the day to put away the Christmas decorations and some other holiday accumulations in an effort to keep my home as organized as my son left it. (smile) Well, as I looked at some New Year's celebration memorabilia, I asked myself if they were "trash" or "treasure". When I was younger I would have quickly said "Treasure! Of course!" There are so many things I have collected through the years from special vacations, events, etc. that I never thought twice about keeping. Yet, over the past few years, I have discarded many of those things, realizing that I have never even looked at them through all these years until that day I discarded them. They would mean absolutely nothing to anyone else and, truthfully, did not meant that much to me when I looked at them years later. Therefore, I can only assume they are actually "trash" that I have sought to "treasure" through the years. I guess I am realizing I am getting older, and hopefully wiser. I realize that anything that was truly important to me,exciting enough to me, or made a big enough impact on my life, is so imprinted in my memory that I do not need Memorabilia to help me remember them. And should my memory one day fade from dementia (I hope not), those items are not going to help me remember those things any better. Therefore, they are trash.

Matthew 6:19-22 says, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt (consume), and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth not rust doth corrupt (consume), and where thieves do not break through to steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Wow! I finally have storage space and closets (which I have never had for 11 years) to store all my "treasures" in, and I am realizing a lot of it is "trash"! Hmmmm! Why does it take so long for us to realize that? I wish it was summer. I'd have time to do a real "overhaul" in our "collections". Sounds like garage sale items to me. One person's trash is another person's treasure!!! (smile)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home