Sunday, October 29, 2006

WHAT IS TRUE FRIENDSHIP?

I have had many "friends" in my lifetime but can not really say I have had a true "best friend" in my entire lifetime ... till now. In my friendships I usually felt like I must do all the "pursuing", giving, "working" to make it grow and last. Friendships take time and effort to develop and grow... for both parties involved ... just like marriage does. It requires sacrifice at times to help a friend, expecting nothing in return. It requires taking time and making a conscious effort to talk, spend time together, and building trust in order to establish a true friendship.

Yes, Jim and I have been very blessed with friends across the country through our ministries in various churches but when God closes the door and we move on ... the friendships are not as "real" anymore. I believe we have many friends in our church right now ... but what is at the "heart" of our friendships? I often feel a barrier of having true friendship with any of them because we are the Pastor and wife and you certainly cannot favor one over the other in the congregation or it could cause division in the church ... at least that is how we feel.

Yet Barb Marsh has come the closest to being my "best friend" within the church. She is always "there" for me. I know that she would set aside any of her own needs to meet my own, if at all possible. But that is who "Barb" is ... to everyone. She is a very loving, compassionate, giving person. I admire her. Even when she is down and "out", hurting or sick or under insurmountable stress, she seeks to minister to others. How I pray God's richest blessings on her in return. She has visited me when I was sick and provided a meal, brought me a special treat and gift on my birthday, brought her family to help us on a home improvement project (even when she has many of her own she "can't find time for" :)) ... that is "Barb". I love her and appreciate her so much as many do because she does it for everyone, it seems! WOW!

However, last Saturday I finally realized that I have a true "best friend" in Barb Hanson. She has pursued my friendship and sought to "be there" for me in more ways than I can count. She and I can really share anything with each other and be "real" ... accepting each other's differences and uniqueness ... enjoying each other's company. Our husbands bonded first as best friends but I subconsciously "held off" from even allowing myself to bond with Barb because of ... I don't know. Past experiences and disappointments in friendships, I guess, where I seemed to always have to be the one "pursuing", giving, encouraging, etc. Last weekend I realized Barb may justly have felt that way about me. I realized I had held her "at bay" and robbed myself of the friendship I have always longed for. Well, no more! I thank God so much for bringing her my way. I hope I can bring joy, laughter, encouragement, companionship, help and strength to her as much as she brings to me. It feels so good to have a reciprocal relationship with my newfound "best friend." I kinda feel like a "schoolgirl" when I say "best friend", but that's okay. "Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional"!!! God is good!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Hi Terri! I'm glad you're back to blogging again. Sorry things have been hectic for you and Pastor Jim. I want you to know I love you guys so much and I pray for you every day. I'm sorry I've been away from church for so long, it has nothing to do with you or him, or really anyone there for that matter. But it was great to be back yesterday, I've missed it so much. I want to thank you so much for praying for me. I felt it. There were moments during the past weeks that I just felt so down in the dumps, and then for no apparent reason things seemed brighter. I'm pretty sure those were the times that someone was praying for me!
See you Sunday :-)
Love, Amy

9:36 AM  
Blogger James said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:55 AM  
Blogger James said...

Mom. I approve of both friends... Barb (whom I have always loved) and Barb (whom I really enjoyed when we went out to eat with them). I just want to make sure that you don't stay out too late, miss your bedtime or allow your friends to be bad influences on your life. :-) I know how crazy you ladies can be!

I love you and I am happy for you.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

yes Terri, I would very much like to talk to you. Please let me know a time that's good for you, because as busy as I am, I know you're even busier.
Love,
Amy

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home