Thursday, August 11, 2005

SO BLESSED!!


Sunday night in church we shared the ways that God speaks to us strongest as individuals. I shared that for me it is through His Word and through nature. Then, yesterday, as I walked up to our house on returning from seeing my newly born great-niece, it happened! It was as though all nature ... the birds, deer, wind blowing, trees, flowers, blue sky, clouds, sun ... everything seemed to lift my heart in praise to God. It was unmistakeably HIS "still, small voice"!! It is in times like that when I actually slow down (which is rough in the rushing pace of everyday life for all of us) and "wait on the Lord" that He blesses me through and through.

My mind seemed to fly back through my lifetime as I thought of God's intervention and moving in my life to bring me to this day, this moment of time:

I thought of my parents who always believed in me and were successful in instilling in me a good self-esteem (something I never seemed able to be fully successfull in doing for my own children).

I thought of my many life choices, especially the one I made in decliniing a fully paid tuition to Moody Bible College (a gift offered by my German teacher) to attend Mount Vernon Nazarene College where I met my husband. That one choice sent my entire life down a totally different road than what I would have had because if I had never met Jim ... I wouldn't be the "me" I am today. That's why I love the poem, "Two roads diverged in the woods and I, I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference!"

I thought of those financially tight beginning years of our lives - especially the one time we only had crackers in our house to eat for supper ... but I had a husband that believed in the Almighty God and His providing care as I did ... and we survived just fine because we had each other, and our faith, and our committed love - in richness or poorness!

I thought of the joy we felt as God blessed us with 3 children. Even though He chose to take one right back "home" with Him at birth, He allowed us the privilege of caring for the other two and was always there to put His "umbrella of protection" upon them when we could not "be there" to protect and guide them.

I thought of all our different ministries, churches, jobs, friends and family ... the bad times and the good times ... God was always there to "work all things together for good".

I thought of: How God blessed our children with good, loving spouses and precious little ones ... our grandchildren! How he has, and continues to, bless them in their lives and choices even as He has blessed and led us through the years.

And then I looked around our property that we bought only 11 years ago ... our first and only home we have ever owned, our fields, our trees, and even our new building... and I burst into tears of gratitude to God and praised Him for His blessings! I thanked Him for all He has done and for entrusting into our care all our possessions which I know are His and could disappear tomorrow ... Yet I would still trust Him .. I would still love Him ... I would always believe in Him!

I remember, as a young wife and mother, struggling financially and being so blessed by God's people showering us with their love, with clothing, food, and even monetary gifts so often because ... God led them to do so. And I remember praying that God would allow us to be able to be on the "giving" side some day ... and He has answered that prayer. I don't know for how long, but it sure does bring unsurpassing joy to have the ability to bless others as we have been blessed. It has helped me realize the trueness of the saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Yes, I am TRULY BLESSED! I could never record all the blessings of my Lord and Savior but He knows my heart and that is all that is needed.

With all our parents gone, Jim and I realize we are now the "older folks" at our family reunions, in church, and most places we go. I am becoming more and more aware of how life is a cycle. We are born and would never survive if it was not for the loving care and provision of those we call our "parents" and the home, food, clothing, and guidance they provide for us. We grow, so innocent, as children. We rebel and strive for independence, especially in our toddler and teenage years. We mature (hopefully) and set out with great ambition and joy to "make a home of our own". Then we become the "parents" and the cycle begins again. But what about "our parents"? Do they cease to exist? No, we still love them ... It is just we have our "own family" now and all the pressures, responsibilities, demands, and joys they bring.

Meanwhile, the now "grandparents" seem to return to the childlike state in their "old age". Due to these physical bodies ... these earthly shells ... growing old and weary, having more illnesses ... diseases ... dementia, etc. ... They may not be able to: get around as well without our help, remember things, think as clearly, take care of themselves and their personal needs without our help. They almost return to that "baby" state of needing a "parent" to care for them and their needs and since their parents are gone, their children become their parents. The scriptures even talk about this: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. (I Cor. 13:11) I cannot think of the reference of another passage that says, essentially: "The day is coming, and now is, when others will lead you where you do not wish to go ..." I know that that passage refers to the "last days" prior to Christ's return but it is also so true of the "winter" of our lives when we can no longer care for ourselves, struggling to maintain our independence by "doing it ourselves", yet having to be cared for and directed by our children. LIFE ... it may seem unfair, but is what we have on this earth. We all pray we will never come to that "state of being" but do we do all we can to delay it? Do we eat healthy and exercise regularly to try to keep these bodies in the best condition possible until the Lord chooses to take us home? That is my goal as I have nearly completed my "3 Week Body Makeover" and sought to create for myself a healthier lifestyle in diet and exercise for as long as I am on this earth.

I love I Corinthians 9! This may be taking a passage out of context a bit but, to me, it applies to living a healthier life, both physically (through a good diet and exercise) and spiritually (through daily reading God's Word and prayer) : "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore, I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (I Cor. 9:24-27)

God is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home